Written by Rose
Lately I’ve been getting the opportunity to do a lot of thinking. I’ve got an abundance of “me time”. I’m undisturbed and get to amuse myself for hours. Not a meeting beckoning me nor conference room full of suits awaiting me. No phones ringing. No kids following me or calling my name. Sounds like bliss, doesn’t it? Nope, it’s not vacation. And it’s not bliss. It’s a commute-from-hell.
I recently acquired a job and, after Hurricane Sandy extended my start date, began working for a large corporation with offices in Stamford, CT. Mind you, we love and are very happy in Basking Ridge, NJ. THAT’S 72 MILES FROM STAMFORD….EACH WAY.
Although the post-Sandy drive time is anything but normal (as NYC is still repairing bridges and tunnels), I haven’t yet made the trip in under 2 hours one way.
So what does one do while pining away for the destination on either end?
- Listen to XM Comedy Radio…for a few minutes before deciding “wait, this isn’t funny”
- Listen to Books On Tape…for a little while before realizing how sucked into the story I am that I’ve temporarily lost track of my surroundings! Better pay attention!
- Turn to XM Traffic…for a few minutes before hearing enough
- Turn to my iPod and listen to My Mix….for a few minutes before realizing “I’ve been listening to this same mix for the last 12 months and now know every song before it comes on!”
- Turn off the sound system and make phone calls to pass the time which works!….until I realize, “What?! I’m only at Rt 287?!!” (half way point home)
- Turn on XM Comedy Radio… (start the whole sequence from the top)
To make up for 4-5 hours per day in the car, I feel like my office desk should be elevated and without an office chair so I could stand up all day long! I wonder if anyone’s done any studies on humans sitting for 10 hours per day?
Wait, did I miss my exit? I let my mind wander for a moment there. Better focus and pay more attention.
On the road again.